Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Baby Update: 38 weeks

I just realised as I sat down to type this blog post that my scanner is no longer connected to the computer, so I can’t upload photos of our baby :( My apologies and I shall endeavor to scan them in when it’s all connected again. (We are still trying to get everything organised after preparing our spare room to be Lucas's new room).

So last week I had two appointments at King Edward Memorial Hospital. My blood tests I had taken after I nearly fainted revealed my iron and hemoglobin levels were very low (no surprises there) and my doctor wanted me to have an iron infusion done. This was done on Thursday and took all morning. It was also scheduled for 745am! Thankfully my driver, a.k.a. my MIL, didn’t mind getting up early and driving me in. We were also very fortunate not to hit any of the traffic that was a result of the 15 car accident on the Freeway.

We actually ended up being quite early for the appointment and that meant we weren’t rushing around trying to find parking and finding our way around. The infusion room ended up being a 4 bed room in the normal maternity ward and all 4 patients were pregnant. The appointment began with checking blood pressure, pulse rate and temperature. Then one of the nurses prepared me for the canulla to go in. Unfortunately it had to go in my elbow, which meant I needed to keep my arm out straight, resting on a pillow for the 2.5 hours it took to infuse the bag of liquid iron L.

Anyway, my MIL was able to sit with me in the room, the nurses were all very lovely and we were also allowed free use of the TV (not that there is much on during the day, as many SAHM can attest too!). We also came prepared with drinks, food, books and magazines. After the required 2.5 hours I had to stay for monitoring for 30 mins before being discharged. The next two days were pretty awful. We had all been told there are possible side effects and I managed to get the ones that made my muscles ache like I had the flu!! Not nice, especially when I was kind of expecting to feel heaps better straight away. But, now the achy muscles have gone and I have noticed my energy levels have increase, so it much be working J

Then our second appointment at KEMH was on the Friday and this was our regular ultrasound with our specialist. My MIL came with us again, hoping to see the 3D scan this time! Thankfully I was able to lie on my side during the scan and we all got to see our baby again J. The baby is progressing well. They are growing as they should and actually had a little weight growth spurt during the week. They are predicting him/her to be a healthy weight, and depending exactly when they are born, probably on the bigger side. This isn’t unusual for me/us! And when I told my regular GP/OB who delivered Lucas (and who I keep updated on the progress of the baby) that bubs was getting big…he just laughed at me! Oh well…can’t be helped.

During the 3D part of the scan, our baby had their hands in front of their mouth and our doctor was trying to nudge them and get them to move them. When he/she finally did move them, they decided to pout about it! Showing their personality already J. Think they might be a stubborn one!!

Anyway, our appointments have changed to every week now, so once again we will be on the Freeway on Friday morning. We also found out that another CDH family has their scan on the same day, at the same time, so we may even be able to meet them in person too. Their baby boy is due 6 weeks after our baby. So that will be exciting J.

Finally, just a small update on the CDH baby born last month that I mentioned in a previous post. They are doing well and last week I received an email saying they were hoping to come home this week. This is fantastic news J. Hopefully we have just as short a hospital stay. But like our medical team always advise us – every CDH baby is unique.

Hopefully we will be sharing our baby news sooner, rather than later. I officially have 12 days till the expected due date!

Till next time J

No comments: