Before the day I prepared by buying a few presents - small cars, a small truck, some small emergency vehicles and a puzzle - along with 14 pairs of big boy jocks and making a sticker reward chart outlining when Lucas would get one of the aforementioned presents.
The morning started off on a bad note. Lucas refused to wear big boy jocks, insisting on wearing nappies. So I showed him the sticker chart and we went through it together and hung it on the toilet door.
I then let him watch a little TV before telling him it was time to change out of his pajamas and into jocks and clothes. Again he started to cry, so I searched for a sample pull up that I had in the cupboard. I managed to convince him to wear that instead of a nappy and told him if he wet through the pull up then he was to wear jocks.
Lucas didn't too badly for the first hour, and had 2 successful wees on the toilet and only 1 accident, which he managed to stop mid wee and run to the toilet to finish. He also wee'd through the pull up with that accident, so it was into big boy jocks after that. The next hour wasn't so successful. He had 3 accidents and only 1 success. The only good thing in that hour was that he got to receive the first present, a dinky car, and was allowed to call Dad and let him know. I had decided that each time he had a success on the toilet he got to put a sticker on the chart, and that he would not be penalised in any way for having an accident. After all he is learning a huge life skill, and as adults we often make mistakes when learning something new, plus I wanted to praise him alot and thus encourage the desired behaviour.
The third hour had 2 more accidents, with one being a small poo in his jocks. Thankfully he tells me straightaway whenever he had done a wee/poo, and I got him to the toilet in time to finish what he was doing! At this stage I think he was a little sick of the toilet and was sitting down, bending over to look in the toilet bowl and saying "hurry up" :)
By lunch time we were down to 3 pairs of dry jocks and had had numerous accidents. I was exhausted and decided to stop toilet training for the day. Hope to try again tomorrow morning and see if anything from today has "clicked".
No comments:
Post a Comment