... I saw the same animal scurry behind my desk!! This time
I saw enough of it to realise it was a mouse (double shudder!!!!), which I
detest more than cockroaches.
All was quiet for a few days (okay okay, I'll be honest, it wasn’t
really quiet as I went around banging doors and walking heavily in a effort to
deter the mouse from making an appearance), and I naively thought the mouse had
kindly make his or her way outside of my house.
Then it was 6am one morning and I was sort of bleary eyed,
making my way to my desk. I sat down, booted up the computer and was waiting
for it to load ... when, all of a sudden, a mouse ran around my printer, no
less than 50m away from!!! I don’t know how, but the kids slept through the
ensuring scream!! Not so for Chris, who came running out to check on me!!
Once Chris has headed of to work soon after, the cheeky
mouse appeared 3 more times, taking a nice stroll between the kids' toy
containers and running under the couch! I was petrified and spent the rest of
the day with my feet off the floor as much as possible!! (Did I mention I
detest mice??).
Since the second spotting of the mouse, Chris had set up old
fashioned traps, but mice aren’t stupid now-a-days. Our mouse worked out how to
take the cheese and peanut butter off the traps without being caught. So Chris
bought two different types traps, one that killed them, and one that didn’t.
And we had success!! We caught a baby mousey. Lucas was fascinated and kept
wanting to see it in the box Chris kept it in to show him.
The next night, I was laying in bed when a heard a kerfuffle
... I went to investigate and was told that another mouse had been caught!!
(yay, shudder). I was a little freaked out, but happy we had caught the second
mouse.
Again, a few days later, it was moving day, and I was telling my mother in law about the escapades of the mice and mentioned I was relieved they were all gone. She then, gently, but with a small smirk, told me that she had seen one scurry off into the laundry while packing some boxes!! I was horrified, but very glad to moving that night.
During the move, while I was still at the "old house", Chris moved the couch and realised another mouse had been caught! And when I was gone, the men folk captured yet another one, bringing the total to 4!! Boy was I glad to be out of there.
Rest assured, the story doesn’t end there ... !!
After sleeping the first night in our new house, Chris got
out of bed and wandered over to a box while I went for a shower. When I got
out, Chris informed me that someone wanted to move with us ... yep, you guessed
it! There was a mouse in a box in our room EEK!!!
And finally, in the narrative about the mice, we spotted a
6th one. I had headed back to the house on Monday night to help Chris do some
of the final cleaning. Chris had popped past the shop, so I was on my own with
the two kids. I entered the house, turned on a few lights, put the kids on the
floor on a rug with some toys, and walked down the passage to get some cleaning
supplies ... I was just passed the laundry door when a mouse sauntered past the
end of the passage (at the T junction of the passage). I screamed, the mouse
panicked, ran TOWARDS ME, skidded on the tiles, I screamed again, the kids
started crying, and the mouse fled to the sanctuary of the laundry. I retreated
back to kids, held them close, comforted them, stared at the entrance to the passage,
and waited for Chris (and secretly wondered if the neighbours had heard me and
would call the cops in a panic).
Thus ended my story about the last two months of mice
escapades!! I still shudder now, and have to resist the urge to take my feet
off the floor and jump at every shadow ... (shudder).
p.s. Chris caught the last mouse later that night :)
No comments:
Post a Comment